Welsh Mountain Zoo – National Zoo of Wales, Colwyn Bay is
recruiting a – Trainee Animal Keeper or Keeper 3 Year Fixed Term Contract
The National Zoological Society of Wales is a registered charity (no. 514108) that owns and runs the Welsh Mountain Zoo – National Zoo of Wales in Colwyn Bay, UK. The Zoo embraces modern conservation thinking and strives for high standards in all departments. It is a member of BIAZA, EAZA, WAZA and Species360.
The Welsh Mountain Zoo – National Zoo of Wales is looking to appoint a Trainee or experienced Animal Keeper, who will answer to the Head Keeper and Animal Collection Manager. The successful candidate will be part of the team responsible for development and daily delivery of husbandry for animals across all sections.
The vacancy is for a 3-year fixed term contract only.
The successful candidate must:
• be passionate about conservation and working with animals in a zoo environment
• have excellent communication skills
• have experience delivering good customer service
• have the ability to work as part of a team
Preferred but not essential experience includes:
• be qualified to at least DMZAA level or equivalent
• have a minimum of 3 years zoo animal experience covering a varied range of taxa.
The successful candidate employed in the position of Trainee Keeper will be expected to;
• commit to undertaking and completing the DMZAA correspondence course managed by Sparsholt College. You must further fund the DMZAA yourself; no
financial help can be given by the Welsh Mountain Zoo. Failure to complete, or abandoning the course early, will result in termination of the contract.
For further details, a full job description and application form please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01492 532938 ext.3 (Office Hours 09.00 – 17.00).
The closing date for applications will be 17.00 on Sunday 28th November. A short list of candidates will be drawn up and contacted to arrange an interview.