Trainee Animal Keeper (Mammals)
Next year, Twycross Zoo (TZ) will celebrate its 60th Anniversary since opening to the public in 1963 in the heart of England in Atherstone. Now an award-winning conservation and science-led zoo, and a registered charity, The East Midland Zoological Society welcome over half a million people every year. We are home to hundreds of animals, including one of the largest chimpanzee families in the UK!
We’re the only zoo in the UK to house all four great apes and we care for many other endangered species to the highest welfare standards, including Eastern black rhino, Sumatran tigers, Amur leopards and snow leopards. In 2014, we launched our 20-year £55 million Masterplan. Since this time, new habitats include our Giraffe Savannah, Gibbon Forest and a £3.5 million world-class chimpanzee habitat, Chimpanzee Eden, and we are looking forward to building on this continued growth and success.
The Role – Trainee Animal Keeper (Mammals)
As a Trainee Animal Keeper, you’ll benefit from regular supervision following structured training at the outset, caring for the animals in our mammals section, which includes the large and small hoofstock, carnivores and small mammals (for example: Giraffes, Rhinos, Meerkats, Goats, Bush dogs etc.). You will help to ensure that animal keeping is carried out to the Zoo’s required standards, with duties that will include although not be limited to:
• Preparing and distributing food and water to animals, in quantities and manner as guided by Senior Keepers
• Learning about the animals and reporting any animal health concerns to the Section Head
• Assisting with maintaining enclosures, food preparation and public viewing areas to a high standard of hygiene, cleanliness and exhibition
• Engaging with visitors and answering enquiries from the public in a helpful and polite manner
Our Requirements – Trainee Animal Keeper (Mammals)
• Some experience caring for domestic and/or exotic animals, ideally with prior experience of working with mammals’ species, gained in a Zoo or similar setting
• Achieved or willing to work towards an appropriate animal related qualification
• Ability to demonstrate a responsible and enthusiastic approach to work, including a willingness to work in a variety of weather conditions
• A passion for the Zoo’s work and purpose
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• A flexible approach to duties and working hours
• Due to our location, you will need to have a way of getting to us under your own steam without reliance on public transport
You’ll be working 43 hours per week, 5 days out of 7 on a rolling 3 week rota, between the hours of 8am and 5pm in winter and 8am and 6pm in summer, with a paid 30-minute break and an unpaid hour for lunch. As a Trainee Animal Keeper you will benefit from:
• Permanent contract
• Salary of £21,242
• 31 days annual leave
• Staff membership card giving you free entry to the Zoo on your days off
• Complimentary Twycross Zoo ticket allowance for friends and family
• 25% discount in the Twycross Zoo gift shop
• Discount in Twycross Zoo food and beverage outlets
• Free onsite parking
• Star of the month award scheme
• Access to work counselling services
Staff engagement is at the very core of what we do. We are committed to the fundamental approach of equal opportunities in employment.
More about Twycross Zoo:
This is an exciting time to join Twycross Zoo as we have recently been awarded £20 million grant funding to develop the National Science and Conservation Centre on the Twycross Zoo site. The NSCC will support vital work around species conservation, bringing together experts in conservation science and train the next generation of conservationists, whilst offering researchers from around the world the opportunity to study the four Great Apes as well as 100 endangered species, in naturalistic complex environments. The facilities will include a lecture theatre, classrooms, and laboratories, all planned to open in 2024.
All applications for this Trainee Animal Keeper (Mammals) vacancy are to be submitted via this link: https://jobs.twycrosszoo.org/twycrosszoo/search/vacancy/all/1/4987579/trainee%20animal%20keeper%20atherstone%20england.html?keywords=