Technician – Birds and Paddocks Section, Animal Management Centre
£15,075 - £18,290 (dependent upon qualifications)
The post holder will work under the direction of the AMC Head in undertaking the husbandry, management and development of the teaching collections of birds (rare pheasants inc Edward’s, brown-eared and Palawan, cranes, bald ibis, rheas, chough, poultry, waterfowl, turacos, kookaburra, owls, finches, pigeons and parakeets) and paddock animals (donkeys, alpacas, goats, dwarf zebu, wallabies and mara).
Working as part of a small team, the post holder will provide supervision and support to students in practical husbandry sessions, ensuring provision is learner-focused, to achieve exemplary standards in animal care, training and the learner experience.
Candidates should be educated to at least level 2 in a relevant vocational subject and be able to demonstrate significant professional experience working with a range of birds, and at least some experience with hoofstock. A positive and flexible approach to a varied workload, real enthusiasm for the animals you work with, and an affinity for working with young learners are required. Some educational or supervisory experience would be advantageous. The post holder will be required to work weekends on a rotational basis.
This post is based at the Sparsholt campus. The AMC is Zoo-Licensed and BIAZA accredited, and holds a significant animal collection with exciting plans for imminent development.
On-site Accommodation in a shared house may be available.
Closing Date: 11 February 2019
Interview Date: 19 February 2019
- Eligibility to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (a defined benefit pension scheme)
- Death Benefit grant of 3 x salary if in the pension scheme
- Free on-site parking
- Car Share Scheme
- Occupational Sick Pay Scheme
- Occupational Maternity Pay Scheme
- Flexible Working Policy
- Holiday entitlement of 22 days (rising to 25 days after 5 years’ service) plus Public and Bank Holidays along with college closure days at Xmas.
- Ability to Purchase Additional Annual Leave via a salary sacrifice arrangement
- Access to an employee assistance scheme
- Free cash point facility
- Free Library membership
- On-site gym at the Sparsholt campus (membership £100 per annum)
- Gym classes at the Sparsholt campus
- You Make the Difference Staff nomination scheme
- Facility to purchase Sparsholt produce including: plants, flowers, fruit & vegetables, fish, venison and turkey.
- Access to discounted hair and beauty treatments at the Andover campus
- Discounted admission to Marwell Zoo
- Ability to access a range of CPD events and support with undertaking professional qualifications
- Various food outlets and eateries offering good value food and drink at competitive prices
There is a nursery on the Sparsholt campus operated by a commercial provider
Application packs are available from:
24 hour recruitment line: 01962 797438