Deputy Team Manager (Great Apes collection)
Twycross Zoo is an award-winning conservation and science-led zoo in the heart of England. This year we are celebrating our 60th birthday! We are rapidly growing and welcoming over 600,000 people every year to our 100-acre rural site near Atherstone.
We are home to 500 animals, including one of the largest chimpanzee families in the UK, and our primate collection is up there with the best in the world. We’re the only zoo in the UK to house all four great apes and we care for many other endangered species to the highest welfare standards including eastern black rhino, Sumatran tigers, Amur leopards and snow leopards.
In 2014, we launched our 20-year £55 million Masterplan. Since this time, new habitats include our Giraffe Savannah, Gibbon Forest and a £3.5 million world-class chimpanzee habitat, Chimpanzee Eden, and we are looking forward to building on this continued growth and success.
The Role – Deputy Team Manager (Great Apes)
As the Deputy Team Manager, you will support the Animal Team Manager in the day-to-day running of the Great Ape section, deputising in their absence. Your duties will include but will not be limited to:
• Managing and supervising a team of up to 12 Great Ape Keepers, assisting the Team Manager with their training and development, including conducting 121s, performance reviews and suggesting performance improvements
• Maintaining and improving animal welfare standards in line with Best Practice Guidelines, as well as the presentation of the collection and workplace practices relevant to zoonotic diseases
• Organising and participating in on-site research projects (mostly behavioural, cognitive and welfare studies)
• Assuming Duty Animal Manager responsibilities on a rota basis, including taking the lead role in an animal emergency
• Supervising and encouraging work experience students and apprentices
• Engaging with visitors and responding to enquiries
Our Requirements – Deputy Team Manager (Great Apes)
• Proven experience and demonstrable substantial working knowledge of modern zoological animal management, including a strong track record of working with great apes and the use of
positive reinforcement training with this taxa
• Experience of people management and leadership
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Good team player with a positive and enthusiastic outlook and the ability to motivate a team
• Take an adaptable and flexible approach to duties with a commitment to the continuous development of knowledge and associated working practices
• Good IT literacy with working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and ZIMS
Although not essential, ideally you will have or be working towards an appropriate qualification, such as the Diploma in the Management of Zoo Animals and Aquaria.
• Permanent contract
• Salary of £26,600
• 31 days annual leave
• Staff membership card giving you free entry to the Zoo on your days off
• Complimentary Twycross Zoo ticket allowance for friends and family
• 25% discount in the Twycross Zoo gift shop
• 10% discount in Twycross Zoo food and beverage outlets
• Star of the month award scheme
• Access to work counselling services
You’ll be working 43 hours per week on a set 3-week rota. You’ll work 5 days out of 7 between the hours of 8am to 6pm during the Summer months and 8am to 5pm during the Winter.
All applications for this Deputy Team Manager (Great Apes) vacancy are to be submitted online via this link: