Deputy Team Leader (Mammals)
East Midland Zoological Society has been running Twycross Zoo for almost 60 years in the heart of England in Atherstone. We are an award-winning conservation and science-led zoo which is rapidly growing, and pre-Covid, were welcoming over 600,000 people every year to our 100-acre rural site. We are an ambitious organisation keen to drive the conservation and scientific aspects of the zoo to new heights as well as optimising on commercial advantages. We are the only zoo in the UK to house all 4 great apes - Gorilla, Orangutan, Bonobo and Chimpanzee - and we care for some of the most endangered animals to the highest welfare standards, including an extensive primate collection plus tiger, leopard, giraffe, rhino, penguin, flamingo and giant tortoise represented.
The Role - Deputy Team Leader (Animal Keeper - Mammals)
As a Deputy Team Leader, you’ll take a hands-on approach working within our mammals section, which includes the large and small hoofstock, carnivores and small mammals, (for example: Giraffe, Rhino, Big Cats, Meerkats, Bush dogs etc.).
You will lead a small team and supervise all areas of daily animal operations, with duties to include although not be limited to:
• Managing all areas of animal husbandry
• Reviewing diets and ensuring the correct diets are prepared and distributed
• Leading and supervising introductions of new animals into social groups
• Liaising with the on-site veterinary team to ensure optimal health of all animals
• Checking and ensuring enclosure structure security, reporting any concerns immediately
In addition to the above, you will also:
• Manage and supervise a team of up to 14 keepers on a daily basis
• Assist the Team Leader with the training and development of Animal Keepers, including conducting 121s, performance reviews and suggest performance improvements
• Participate in on-site research projects (mostly behavioural, cognitive and welfare studies)
• Supervise and encourage work experience students and apprentices
• Engage with visitors and answer enquiries
Our Requirements – Deputy Team Leader (Animal Keeper - Mammals)
• At least 7 years’ experience of animal keeping
• Proven experience and demonstrable working knowledge of zoological animal management, with a strong track record of working with mammals including working in protected contact with category 1 animals
• Experience of people / team management
• Have appropriate qualification, such as the Diploma in the Management of Zoo Animals and Aquaria
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Good team player with a positive and enthusiastic outlook and the ability to motivate a team
• Ability to adapt to change
• Good IT literacy with working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
Staff engagement is at the very core of what we do. We are committed to the fundamental approach of equal opportunities in employment. As a Deputy Team Leader, you’ll benefit from a salary of £23,205, along with 31 days annual leave, a staff membership card giving you free entry to the Zoo on your days off and discounts in our retail and food outlets, and free onsite parking. You’ll be employed on permanent contract, working 43 hours per week on a set 3-week rota. You’ll
work 5 days out of 7 between the hours of 8am to 6pm during the summer and 8am to 5pm during the winter months.
More about Twycross Zoo:
Over the last 8 years we have opened a new gibbon island complex, a multi-million-pound chimpanzee area, built a new tiger habitat and a new rhino area and welcomed our largest visitor numbers ever in 2019. We launched our Tz2030Vision in late 2019 which sets out the developments for the next 10 years including a National Science and Conservation Centre.
Covid has hit us hard but with great teamwork and restructuring only put development plans on hold for a year so we are emerging with a renewed energy to restart and continue our growth and success.
You’ll be part of an evolving and progressive organisation at Twycross Zoo East Midland Zoological Society. We can promise a challenging and supportive workplace where your expertise is valued, and change is a constant! Our organisation strives to educate and inspire everyone to care about, and therefore help save, the other species with which we share our planet.
We are based in Atherstone, Warwickshire, on the A444 which is easily accessed via the A5 and the M42 Junction 11.
If you would like to join our team, and you have the experience required to fulfil this role, we would love to hear from you.
All applications for this Deputy Team Leader (Animal Keeper - Mammals) vacancy are to be submitted online, and strictly no agency calls or agency CV submissions.