Deputy Living Collections Manager - Aviculture
WWT Slimbridge Wetland centre
37.5 hours per week
The successful application to the Heritage Lottery Fund for our Slimbridge 2020 project https://slimbridge2020.wwt.org.uk/ has been a catalyst for change at WWT Slimbridge. We are investing six million pounds into the centre adding nine new exhibits and increasing our focus on visitor engagement.
Five of the new exhibits will house new species including:
- Mission Possible - displaying the critically endangered Spoon-billed sandpiper and a new visitor focused Duckery
- Waterscapes Aviary - A large walkthrough aviary highlighting a wooded wetland, a perfect British reed bed, a wader shore and a diving duck tank
- Create & Connect - A farmyard highlighting a range of domestic ducks and geese and an Eider farm
- Arctic Adventure - Birds of the Arctic Tundra including Bewick swans and Greenland White-Fronted Goose
- The Living Wetland Theatre – displaying wetland birds in a purpose built amphitheatre including Pink Backed Pelicans, Night Herons and Crowned Cranes.
We are looking for a Deputy Living Collections Manager – Aviculture to lead, motivate and develop a team of aviculturists. The department includes three wardens responsible for Flamingos, Duckery and Exhibits, plus two aviculture assistants and a pest control warden as well as a team of volunteers and student placements.
The successful candidate will be highly motivated and demonstrate a proactive, engaging management approach. They will be responsible for all aviculture activities on site including bird exhibits, a breeding duckery and gosling field. You will work closely with other departments to drive operational improvements across the site and achieve an amazing, surprising, inspiring and engaging visitor experience.
The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT) is a conservation charity that protects wetlands for wildlife and people. We conserve, restore and create wetlands. We are pioneers in saving wetland wildlife, both in the UK and around the world. At our 10 UK sites over a million visitors a year engage with wetland nature. We work internationally in key global wetland areas, balancing conservation with sustainable livelihoods and influencing national and international conservation policies.
In return for your hard work and dedication you’ll enjoy a wide range of benefits including:
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service
- Contributory pension scheme (conditions apply)
- Life assurance
- Free parking
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free entry to all our centres
For more information, and to apply for the role, please visit http://jobs.wwt.org.uk/vacancies/1107/ABWAK/deputy_living_collections_manager_aviculture/
Closing date: Sunday 27th January 2019
Interview dates: Monday 11th or Tuesday 12th February 2019
Registered Charity Number England & Wales, no 1030884 and Scotland, no SC039410