Competition Terms and Conditions
All entrants must agree to the following terms and conditions. Please do not submit to the competition if you do not agree with these terms and conditions.
This competition is only open to ABWAK members (professional and associate).
- Day in the Life of a Zookeeper- Images should show a keeper(s) at work and may illustrate any aspect of the modern keepers/aquarists working day; for example, this category may include animal care, veterinary work, training (where the staff member involved is clearly shown), visitor engagement, cleaning, researching etc.
- Enrichment and/or Training- Images should illustrate the use and effectiveness of enrichment and/or training. (The enrichment and/or training method must be clearly identified and described).
- Animal Portrait in a Zoo/Aquarium- An individual animal or group of animals photograph. The photographs entered in this category must be taken in captivity in the UK & Ireland and be accompanied by a note on species, and location taken. Underwater pictures are welcomed.
- Animal Portrait Wild- An individual animal or group of animals photograph. The photographs entered in this category must be taken in the wild (UK or abroad) – and be accompanied by a note on species, and location taken.
PLEASE ENSURE ALL PHOTOS WHICH ARE ENTERED ARE LANDSCAPE FORMAT AND HAVE BEEN TAKEN BY YOU. You must own the copyright to the photographs you are entering. Please note that by submitting an entry you are agreeing to the use of your image by ABWAK
For good quality reproduction in the calendar images over 4 megapixels with a resolution setting of 1600 x 1200 or above is best. Max size of each photo 10MB and preferably JPEG format no RAW files please
A short, written description is required with each entry:
- Name, time and date of photograph
- Where the photograph was taken
- Include a little more about the photograph and subject such as how you felt when you took it or any interesting behaviours that you saw etc.
- ABWAK membership number
If any images have not been received successfully, we will make every effort to contact the entrant via email and request the photo is re-submitted.
Images which have been compressed for sending must be available at a higher quality for printing, if this is not possible, the photo cannot be accepted for judging.
ABWAK will not accept photos if they breach any UK or international law, animal welfare standards, or if there is any offensive material involved. We also reserve the right to disqualify photos if they have been digitally manipulated (e.g. photoshop edited).
By submitting your images, you agree that ABWAK may use them in the future, free of charge, in any ABWAK publications, although full credit will be given to the photographer.
Permission must be obtained from any persons featured in any submitted images and where appropriate from the place (zoo) at which photos are taken.
Only winners and runners up will be notified via email. Results will be published in the December RATEL and on ABWAK social media.
If a winning entrant cannot be contacted, ABWAK reserve the right to offer the prize to another entrant.
Jury: ABWAK Council will form the panel judging entries (and Council members are not entitled to enter the competition).
The judges’ decision is final and no discussion or negotiations will be entered into. The photos will be judged on technical quality and aesthetics.
ABWAK reserves the right not to publish the photos, or to publish fewer images, if there are insufficient entries of suitable quality. We may use the images for a calendar or other publication.
Entries: A maximum of 3 photos per category per person (the same photo CANNOT be entered in more than one category).